January 27, 2023
2023 Community Chili Cookoff
Need a great way to get out of the house and stay warm on a snowy day? Be sure to come over, warm up with some chili, and join the fun at the 2nd Annual Community Chili Cookoff, Saturday, January 28th. You can join in the People’s Choice voting at no charge and help decide which is the best in the county. Our celebrity judges John Braden of Mountain Wave Weather, County Commissioner Grant Thayer, and Jim Ripple of Hoot & Ruger will be back this year too. Will the winner be Bob’s Green Chili, Chugwater Chili, Pennsylvania Dutch with a Twist Chili, Carnivore Chili, Dirty Kurt’s Texas Chili, No Bean Sweet Potato Chili, White Bean Chicken Chili, or Dinah-Moe Humm Chili? Bragging rights are on the line.
Special thanks to our event sponsors Once Upon a Time Events, 40 Acre Craft, The Tea Spoon, Kimberly Wills Realtor, Integrity Auto, Innovative Threads, and Renee Burton American Family Insurance for making the chili challenge possible.
The event is being held from 11 am to 2 pm at Once Upon a Time Events, 31242 Wedemeyer Rd., Kiowa.
Don’t Forget the Cajun Cookoff
If you like the heat, stay in the kitchen and also sign up for the Community Cajun Cookoff in February: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/431860274707. Sponsorship opportunities are available for you to showcase your business. If you like to eat more than cook, come on over. Admission is free and you can participate in the People’s Choice Award voting.
This Week’s Trivia Question:
In what modern day country did okra originate?
More Events Coming Up
- Saturday, January 28, 11:00 AM – 2nd Annual Chili Cookoff at Once Upon a Time Events in Kiowa. Cost is $25 for contest entry and free for spectators and People’s Choice voting. Register on Eventbrite.
- Saturday, February 18, 11:00 AM – Cajun Cookoff at Once Upon a Time Events in Kiowa. Cost is $25 for contest entry in either jambalaya, etouffee, or gumbo categories. Free for spectators and People’s Choice voting. Register on Eventbrite.
- Saturday, February 25, 1:00 PM – Seed Swap at American Family Insurance board room. Please note the new office location is 133 Co Rd 17, Elizabeth. No charge to attend. Just bring your seeds. Register on Eventbrite for a headcount.
- Saturday, March 4, 1:00 PM – Making Great Compost (location TBD). Jonathan Whetstine of Richer Lands Compost to learn about how to make great compost in preparation for the growing season. No cost to attend. Donations accepted. Register on Eventbrite.
- Saturday, March 18, 1:00 PM – Chickens 101 (Online Class). Cost is $15 for non-members and free to members. Register on Eventbrite.
- Sunday, April 23, 2:00 PM – ECAA Member Meeting, Potluck and Ask a Farmer Panel (location TBD). Register on Eventbrite. (Online Ask a Farmer event begins at 3:00 PM)
Dues are Due
Are you a paid member? Now is the time to join or renew your membership in ECAA supporting local agricultural related businesses. To pay your dues click on the Membership tab on https://elbertcountyagalliance.org and select either the membership application or the renewal page.
Memberships run from January 1-December 31st.
Membership renewal reminders have gone out. If you haven’t seen yours use the link the renew!
Now is a great time to get involved in ECAA and join the fun of belonging to a supportive ag family. You can help with upcoming programs, teach a class, join the board, update the website, contribute to the Roundup, or join the the Homestead Fair Committee. Your volunteer time can be short and sweet or an ongoing project. Contact email@example.com to talk about your interests.
If you have announcements or classifieds that should be included in the next Roundup? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trivia Answer: Ethiopa