February 24, 2023
Join us for the Seed Swap
It’s almost time to start your seeds inside. Join ECAA this Saturday, February 25th for a Seed Swap at American Family Insurance at 133 CR 17 in Elizabeth. Just bring your seeds and some envelopes. Time and details are at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/526727013677.
Our first Community Cajun Cookoff was a spicy hit! Congratulations to Kurt and Judy Glaser who won both the 1st Prize in the Jambalaya category, but also the People’s Choice Award. Marshia Vecchiarelli and Cindy Angers (who won the recent chili cookoff) took 1st Prize in the Gumbo category. Ragin’ Cajun won 1st Prize for his marvelous étouffée. Come back next year!
This Week’s Trivia Question
Do bees sleep?
Making a Big Impact with Microbusinesses
This year the Elbert County Agricultural Alliance has provided educational and marketing opportunities to our members and our community. We’ve created events and educational programs that build up the community in our county and open the door to business partnerships. If you support these efforts we hope you will consider volunteering. ECAA is truly one of those organizations where you get out what you put in. Now is a great time to get involved in the supportive ag family that is ECAA. You can help with upcoming programs, teach a class, join the board, update the website, contribute to the Roundup, or join the the Homestead Fair Committee. Your volunteer time can be short and sweet or an ongoing project. Contact email@example.com to talk about your interests.
Bean Summit: Free Educational Opportunity
The Colorado Department of Agriculture is holding its Bean Summit on March 2nd in Arvada. Attendance is free, but you must register. If you are interested in learning more about growing and selling dry beans to https://coloradodrybeans.org/2023-bean-summit/.
Colorado Agritourism Association Annual Conference
If you are interested in building an agritourism or farm stay aspect to your farm related business be sure to sign up for the Colorado Agritourism Association annual meeting at Sylvan Dale Ranch, March 2-4, 2023. ECAA Secretary, Sheila Zuschek, will be speaking on a CAA initiative to build a database of county agritourism regulations. The CAA programming will also include marketing opportunities, an overview of booking platforms, and a roundtable where attendees can share best practices. The cross programming with the Colorado Dude Y Guest Ranch Association will feature a talk on branding presented by marketing consultant Dave Santouci as well as programs on sustainable land use, insurance, and workforce management. Registration is $50. Meals and accommodations are extra. To register fill out this form and send it in: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CTlTs413NPw-PUcbafbqHr8vMPZpeVN0/view.
Water 101: Free Educational Opportunity
Even if you are new to the area you’ve heard by now that groundwater is our most precious resource here in Elbert County. The Town of Elizabeth is hosting a Water 101 class on March 7th at 6:30 p.m. The session is designed to provide an introduction to Colorado Water Law, specific provisions within the Town, demand on water in the area and implementation of the 300-year water rule. Representatives of the Town’s water attorney and consultants’ team will be presenting the information. This free class is open to the public.
More Events Coming Up
- Saturday, February 25, 1:00 PM – Seed Swap at American Family Insurance board room. Please note the new office location is 133 Co Rd 17, Elizabeth. No charge to attend. Just bring your seeds. Register on Eventbrite for a headcount.
- Saturday, March 4, 1:00 PM – Making Great Compost (Russell Gates Mercantile in Elbert). Jonathan Whetstine of Richer Lands Compost to learn about how to make great compost in preparation for the growing season. No cost to attend. Donations accepted. Register on Eventbrite.
- Saturday, March 18, 1:00 PM – Chickens 101 (Online Class). Cost is $15 for non-members and free to members. Register on Eventbrite
- Sunday, April 23, 2:00 PM – ECAA Member Meeting, Potluck and Ask a Farmer Panel (location TBD). Register on Eventbrite. (Online Ask a Farmer event begins at 3:00 PM).
- Saturday, June 3 — Meet ECAA at Elizabash on Main Street in Elizabeth. Dues paid members who volunteer may hand out promotional literature for their own business in addition to providing information about ECAA and its programs.
- Friday, June 23-Saturday, June 24 — Meet ECAA at Cowboy Up in Kiowa. Dues paid members who volunteer may hand out promotional literature for their own business in addition to providing information about ECAA and its programs.
- Saturday, July 8 — Meet ECAA at Elbert Day. Dues paid members who volunteer may hand out promotional literature for their own business in addition to providing information about ECAA and its programs.
- Friday, August 4 – Sunday, August 6 — Meet ECAA at the Elbert County Fair. Dues paid members who volunteer may hand out promotional literature for their own business in addition to providing information about ECAA and its programs.
- Saturday, December 2 — Join ECAA in supporting the community by baking and serving free cookies at the Elizabeth Mayor’s Christmas tree lighting ceremony.
If you have announcements or classifieds that should be included in the next Roundup? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trivia Answer: Yes. In 1983 Walter Kaiser observed bees lying still in his hive and discovered they were sleeping. Bees sleep six to eight hours per day.