March 3, 2023
Join us for the Composting Class
Jonathan Whetstine of Richer Lands Composting is back this year to share even more ways you can improve the quality of your compost. Come on out to the Russell Gates Mercantile in Elbert at 1:00 on Saturday to learn how you can improve the quality of your soil and build a better garden. The class is free and registration is not required, but we are trying to keep a headcount at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/522164146017.
Sow, Sow Good
The Seed Swap last week was a big success with a large crowd of gardeners turning out to share seeds and gardening tips. Be on the lookout for similar events coming up later.
This Week’s Trivia Question
Besides breathing and smelling what is the other purpose of a goat’s sinuses?
The chicks are arriving this week in all of the feed stores, so be sure to tell your friends about our Chickens 101 online class coming up on March 18th. There is no charge for ECAA members and a $15 fee for non-members. To register go to: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/chickens-101-tickets-431891558277.
Making a Big Impact with Microbusinesses
This year the Elbert County Agricultural Alliance has provided educational and marketing opportunities to our members and our community. We’ve created events and educational programs that build up the community in our county and open the door to business partnerships. If you support these efforts we hope you will consider volunteering. ECAA is truly one of those organizations where you get out what you put in. Now is a great time to get involved in the supportive ag family that is ECAA. You can help with upcoming programs, teach a class, join the board, update the website, contribute to the Roundup, or join the the Homestead Fair Committee. Your volunteer time can be short and sweet or an ongoing project. Contact email@example.com to talk about your interests.
The European Union commissioned a scientific study on the welfare of broiler flocks in different rearing environments. The study specifically looked at environmental stresses and their effects on broiler flocks. You can download a copy of the report at: https://efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdfdirect/10.2903/j.efsa.2023.7788.
The Nose Knows
Animals are very good at sensing our moods. In an effort to determine what sensory mechanisms they rely upon scientists at Université de Tours recently found evidence that horses can differentiate between the scent of a human in a state of joy and in a state of fear. Check out the full article on the study here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-30119-8#Fun.
Water 101: Free Educational Opportunity
Even if you are new to the area you’ve heard by now that groundwater is our most precious resource here in Elbert County. The Town of Elizabeth is hosting a Water 101 class on March 7th at 6:30 p.m. The session is designed to provide an introduction to Colorado Water Law, specific provisions within the Town, demand on water in the area and implementation of the 300-year water rule. Representatives of the Town’s water attorney and consultants’ team will be presenting the information. This free class is open to the public.
More Events Coming Up
- Saturday, March 18, 1:00 PM – Chickens 101 (Online Class). Cost is $15 for non-members and free to members. Register on Eventbrite
- Sunday, April 23, 2:00 PM – ECAA Member Meeting, Potluck and Ask a Farmer Panel (location TBD). Register on Eventbrite. (Online Ask a Farmer event begins at 3:00 PM).
- Saturday, June 3 — Meet ECAA at Elizabash on Main Street in Elizabeth. Dues paid members who volunteer may hand out promotional literature for their own business in addition to providing information about ECAA and its programs.
- Friday, June 23-Saturday, June 24 — Meet ECAA at Cowboy Up in Kiowa. Dues paid members who volunteer may hand out promotional literature for their own business in addition to providing information about ECAA and its programs.
- Saturday, July 8 — Meet ECAA at Elbert Day. Dues paid members who volunteer may hand out promotional literature for their own business in addition to providing information about ECAA and its programs.
- Friday, August 4 – Sunday, August 6 — Meet ECAA at the Elbert County Fair. Dues paid members who volunteer may hand out promotional literature for their own business in addition to providing information about ECAA and its programs.
- Saturday, December 2 — Join ECAA in supporting the community by baking and serving free cookies at the Elizabeth Mayor’s Christmas tree lighting ceremony.
If you have announcements or classifieds that should be included in the next Roundup? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trivia Answer: Shock absorption when head butting.