April 21, 2023
Member Meeting and Potluck
Join us this Sunday at Ponderosa Plains Farm for a member meeting and potluck, April 23rd at 2:00 p.m. Bring a dish and mingle from 2:00-3:00 p.m. then join in the conversation as guests from Elbert County and beyond join us online to Ask a Farmer. Socializing resumes at 4:00 p.m. Their may be trivia too! Not a member? Come over and find out why you should join. Sign up here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/member-meeting-and-ask-a-farmer-event-tickets-431907335467
This Week’s Trivia Question
What waxy substance and dry skin remedy is derived from sheep?
Colorado Native Plants Master Class
Join Colorado State University Extension for a three part class in identifying native plants in the field. The half day classes will be held June 22nd, June 29th, and July 6th in Colorado Springs. For more information go to: https://engagement.colostate.edu/event/colorado-native-plant-master-north-cheyenne-canyon-park-2/.
mRNA Livestock Vaccine Facts
Rumors are swirling about mRNA vaccines, but ag journalist Paige Carlsen has put together facts on the benefits and risks of animal vaccinations. To read the article go to: https://www.agweb.com/news/livestock/beef/livestock-and-mrna-vaccines-what-you-need-know.
Financing as Rates Rise
With interest rates rising farmers will need to rethink how to fund operations during off seasons and to make capital improvements. Check out this article for financial advice: https://www.agweb.com/news/business/taxes-and-finance/farm-banker-how-fund-your-farm-rising-rate-environment.
Share Your Skills
Do you have a homesteading skill you love to share? Would you be willing to teach an ECAA sponsored class or provide a demonstration at an ECAA event? Contact your board of directors at BOD@elbertcountyagalliance.org with your idea. We’d love to help you share your passion.
Making a Big Impact with Microbusinesses
This year the Elbert County Agricultural Alliance has provided educational and marketing opportunities to our members and our community. We’ve created events and educational programs that build up the community in our county and open the door to business partnerships. If you support these efforts we hope you will consider volunteering. ECAA is truly one of those organizations where you get out what you put in. Now is a great time to get involved in the supportive ag family that is ECAA. You can help with upcoming programs, teach a class, join the board, update the website, contribute to the Roundup, or join the the Homestead Fair Committee. Your volunteer time can be short and sweet or an ongoing project. Contact email@example.com to talk about your interests.
More Events Coming Up
- Sunday, April 23, 2:00 PM – ECAA Member Meeting, Potluck and Ask a Farmer Panel at Ponderosa Plains Farm. Register on Eventbrite. (Online Ask a Farmer event begins at 3:00 PM).
- Saturday, June 3 — Meet ECAA at Elizabash on Main Street in Elizabeth. Dues paid members who volunteer may hand out promotional literature for their own business in addition to providing information about ECAA and its programs.
- Friday, June 23-Saturday, June 24 — Meet ECAA at Cowboy Up in Kiowa. Dues paid members who volunteer may hand out promotional literature for their own business in addition to providing information about ECAA and its programs.
- Saturday, July 8 — Meet ECAA at Elbert Day. Dues paid members who volunteer may hand out promotional literature for their own business in addition to providing information about ECAA and its programs.
- Friday, August 4 – Sunday, August 6 — Meet ECAA at the Elbert County Fair. Dues paid members who volunteer may hand out promotional literature for their own business in addition to providing information about ECAA and its programs.
- Saturday, August 19 — Fourth Annual ECAA Homestead Fair. Details to come!
- Saturday, December 2 — Join ECAA in supporting the community by baking and serving free cookies at the Elizabeth Mayor’s Christmas tree lighting ceremony.
If you have announcements or classifieds that should be included in the next Roundup? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trivia Answer: Lanolin